Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hello April!

Well, it's finally here! A month of blue lights, blue hair extensions, fundraising events, walks and runs all in an effort to increase awareness of autism. April is designated as Autism Awareness month but now, I am aware of it every day.

Two years ago, I wasn't aware of autism. I mean, I knew the term and knew that I didn't want my child to ever have "something like that" but I didn't really know about it. I didn't know anyone who had a child with autism. It's really amazing how much you can learn in a year and a half and still be perplexed that this disorder continues to be mysterious on so many levels. But now that my child has "something like that," I am learning as much as I can about how to best help him. I have to be seen and heard for his sake so, for those that know me well, that means getting out of my comfort zone. Not easy for me, but necessary for him.

My husband and I desire, besides providing Luke the best possible care and therapy that we possibly can, to educate our little corner of the world about autism. I hope we have done that, even if just a little. We don't know or understand it all, but we do know firsthand what it is like to deal with it on a daily basis. A saying somewhat common in the autism community is "once you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism." That statement is so true. If every parent of a child with autism blogged about their child and their challenges, every blog would be so unique, just because the challenges are so varied in each case. Again, I didn't know that a couple of years ago. My exposure to autism was "Rain man." Unfortunately, that is also the only exposure many people have had to autism. Not all of our kids are geniuses. But some are. Not all of our kids have behavioral issues. But some do. Not all of our kids are nonverbal. But some are. Not all of our kids are mentally retarded. But some are. Not all of our kids are savants. Yes, some are. The stereotypes could go on. The spectrum is so much bigger than I ever imagined. I want people to know that.

Now, more than ever, awareness is key. I guess at one time the saying "ignorance is bliss" applied to me. It didn't seem that important - until it hit home. Knowledge really is power. The power to speak up and bring about change for our kids, our future. With that knowledge comes responsibility. The responsibility to be seen and heard when it matters. The responsibility to seek out the best treatments for our kids. The responsibility to educate others because ignorance really isn't bliss. This past week, the CDC released the latest findings regarding the incidence of autism and the numbers are jaw-dropping. One in 88 children are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and the number for boys is even more alarming at 1 in 54. Based on this, the chances of you knowing or having a child in your life affected by autism are high. And please don't forget, these numbers represent real people. They are not just statistics. They are sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, grandchildren, loved ones. So, get educated. Know the signs. Get the facts. Be aware. It doesn't just go away because we don't know all about it. Turning our heads away doesn't work.

So, would you like to know what to do? There are many simple things you can do to help increase awareness.
* Go to my blog and check out the "signs of autism" tab. Or, just google autism. (Remember, knowledge is power!).
* If you are in Alabama or in another state looking at autism insurance reform, call you legislators and urge them to support this because it is much needed to get our kids the therapies and treatments they need covered by insurance companies.
* In Alabama, go to your DMV and buy a commit to purchase autism tag before November. It costs $50 with $ 41.20 going to the Autism Society of Alabama. (They have to have 1000 commitments before the tag goes into production.)
* April 2 is World Autism Awareness day and many famous buildings will be "lighting it up blue" to recognize it. So, you too can light it up blue! Buy a blue light bulb. There are blue bulbs at Home Depot for $1.99 specially marked with Autism Speaks. (Ours is already lit up outside our front door to welcome April.)
* For the ladies and some brave fellas, get a blue hair extension. When people notice your extension, it gives you a chance to increase awareness wherever you go. Check with salons in your area. In Mobile, Bombshell Salon is offering them for $12 and the proceeds benefit The Learning Tree and it's programs, which includes The Little Tree (Luke's school). I will be sporting one soon!

April is a very busy month for our family. Autism is always with me and my family though, no matter the month. Luke is an incredible little boy and he is surrounded by love. God is teaching us so much through Luke. We have been blessed with so much love, encouragement and support and we are thankful for it. If in any way, you have learned anything about autism from my blog or other sources, then please pass that knowledge along. It can only help our kids who deserve to be given the opportunity to thrive and it offers them the best chance at a purposeful, productive future. People need to know!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment