Saturday, April 28, 2012

Project Outreach does it again!

On April 20, Project Outreach (P.O.) held an Autism Awareness Assembly at Spanish Fort High School.  The director of the program, Scott Parks, asked if I would speak as part of the program and give a parent's point of view about autism.  Seeing as how I have a child with autism and I have a point of view, I agreed.   People need to know, right?   But, what will I say?  How do I fit our story neatly into a five minute spot  ('cause our story has been anything but neat.)   Will it matter?  Who will listen?  What if I cry?  How many people  will be there?  What if i mess up?.....Yea, those were the kinds of questions swirling in my mind.     Public speaking makes me so nervous.  It definitely puts me out of my comfort zone.  Autism has a way of doing that.  I think I have permanently relocated out of my comfort zone!  But then it occurred to me: those questions were really all about me.  I have always said I would help in any way I can because autism shook up my world.  But, I have hope.  Others need hope too.   So I had to rethink this whole presentation thing.  It really wasn't about me at all.   It was about something bigger.  Like awareness.  Like understanding.  Like compassion.   It wasn't about me.

So that morning, the boys and I, along with my mother and mother in law,  headed across the bay to help spread autism awareness.  I had packed bags for the boys that held their favorite books and colors to keep them occupied during the assembly (because you just never know what to expect). When we got to the school,  we couldn't help but notice the big red puzzle piece spray painted on the front lawn by the words "Autism Awareness Week."  These kids were serious about autism!  Students from P.O. led us down the hall to the gym where the assembly would take place.  As we walked, I couldn't help but notice the big, bright, impossible-to-miss signs on the walls.  They were all about autism. They were full of facts and stats.  There were puzzle pieces hanging from the ceiling. There were signs made by each grade showing their support for the autism community.  I was blown away!




 
The presentations by the students were equally impressive. Several spoke about what autism means to them and how it has changed their lives. Then there were the videos.  y usually get me. I fought back tears as the very first video played at the beginning of the assembly.  It was all about autism stats and the challenges kids with autism face.  It reminded me that my son is 1 in 88 and that we have many of these challenges ahead.  It was powerful and I admit, I couldn't watch it all because I knew I would cry.  Autism gets to me like that.

My part of the presentation came about half way through the program.  I was nervous. Even the night before I just kept staring at a blank piece of paper wondering what I would say.  I finally scribbled a few notes before going to bed.  And I have to tell you, I love how God uses our kids to remind us of His truths.  Nathan knew I was nervous and wanted to encourage me.  He reminded me of Joshua 1:9 which states: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage for the Lord your God is with you."  He said "Mom, don't worry. Jesus is with you wherever you go." My precious son used the same verse that I have been using to encourage him when he is afraid.  I was both humbled and grateful for that gift.  And I was encouraged.  So, it was my turn.  I stepped up to the podium and placed my messy, scribbled notes in front of me.  I picked up the microphone, looked up at the audience and began to speak.  I wish I could tell you exactly what I said because I honestly don't remember. The words just came out.  I never looked at those notes.  I guess I just had them there to make me feel better.  I found a couple of faces in the crowd that appeared receptive and kind.  I just spoke from my heart and told our story.  I think it went well.  And those bags I packed for the boys, well, they helped.  The boys did great for the entire hour of the assembly.  I was a proud mommy :-)

Afterwards, there was a reception and time to talk with some of the members of P.O.  They had great questions for me about Luke and autism.  They flocked to the boys and began interacting with them.  It was a lot for Luke at first but he warmed up and was giving out hugs before it was over.  I think Nathan especially loved the attention. He was surrounded by pretty high school girls who wanted to know all about him.  I loved that he smiled and laughed with them.  Although he can be rather shy and quiet at times, he loved their attention and when all was said and done,  he said "that was fun."


It really was fun.  I was around some amazing young people who really care.  Some of them even want to work with special needs kids when they get out of school.  It was so encouraging to be around them.  I wish this program could be in every school.  The need is there.  When I was in school many years go,  I had never heard of autism. Now, it is everywhere. It's not going anywhere either. So much of it is still a mystery.  But our autism kids are here and they are growing up.  Programs like P.O. and people like Scott Parks give me hope for my son and his future. Luke is growing up (and too fast I might add!) and I pray that he will have friends like these, who truly care about him for who he is and who won't try to limit him because what he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment