Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lovin' the 80's, Lovin' the Little Tree

Do you remember the 80's?  As I write this, I realize that some readers weren't even born yet which makes me feel pretty old. I loved a lot about the 80's. The music, the tacky fashion ( minus the shoulder pads - yuck!), the big hair(love that Aqua Net), the family sitcoms.  I listened to big hair bands like Bon Jovi, Def Lepard, and Poison.  I loved Hart and Chicago too. Oh, and Bryan Adams, Tears for Fears, and Duran Duran too.  The list could go on. Thank goodness for Pandora.

Did you watch The Cosby Show or Growing Pains? Or maybe Full House or ALF?  Maybe you liked movies like The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles.  Personally, I had a crush on Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains.  Yes, I did.  I admit it.  If you were a teen girl in the 80's, you can admit it too.  Come on. You know you did!

Earlier this month, I had a chance to visit the 80's once again.  "A Night at the Ezell House" was a 80's themed fundraiser for the Learning Tree and it's programs which includes Woody's Song and The Little Tree preschool (Luke's school).  It was held in a beautiful historic home in downtown Mobile.  There was some delicious food provided by Wintzell's Oyster House, Spot of Tea, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Pollman's Bakery and Twist Cupcakes to name a few.  There were over 50 silent auction items in all price ranges, including a stay at the Grand Hotel, tickets to see the Mobile Baybears and gift cards to fine restaurants,  which made everyone happy. On the courtyard,  The Wes Loper Band played and did a great job.  They aren't known for being an 80's cover band but they belted out the hits.  They had everyone singing and having a good time.  I am a fan!  The night was a success!  We raised $8500 !


The cool thing about it though wasn't the food or the music, even though they were great.  It was the fact that parents came together and worked very hard toward the common goal of helping our kids. ( And we had a great time too!) We see the impact that these programs are having on the lives of our children and our families and we know that we simply must help because that is just what we are supposed to do.  Really, we have to help. Not because we are forced to but because we are compelled to help. We want to help. That's what you do for your kids, right?   I have joked that "fundraiser" is my new middle name because it seems to be all I do these days.  But that's ok. It's for my son and his friends. They need it. Their school needs it. Why wouldn't I work hard to help them?   It's for their present and their future.

I have put away the neon accessories, at least for now.  But I look forward to the event next year. If you couldn't be there, then you missed out!  Mark your calendars for April 5, 2013 at the Ezell House . Come join us! We will do it again and it will be a blast! And thank you for your prayers and financial gifts to help Luke's school.  I have been completely overwhelmed by your generosity, your support and your love. Thanks  again!

No comments:

Post a Comment