Saturday, May 21, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Yesterday was a great day.  It was a busy, tiring day, but a great one.  I would have blogged about it last night but I was ahead of schedule.  Collapse wasn't on the schedule until Saturday night, but I got to it on Friday evening instead.  So, hear is a recap.

Friday morning was an awards ceremony at Covenant Christian School, where Nathan just finished his K4 year.  In K4, each student receives an award which targets the particular area of learning in which they excel.  This year, their awards were named after authors whose books they have read in class.  Nathan received the Eric Carle Award for Colorful and Creative Artistic Ability.  If you would have shown me the awards before the ceremony with the names covered, I could have told you that he would receive this award.  When he does art, he is more focused than when he does anything else in this world.  He is concerned with patterns and order.   He loves colors and creating new projects with his art.  This has to be why he told me, "Mommy, I am growing up.  I don't scribble-scrabble anymore.  I stay in the lines." He is 5 and growing up too fast.  I love to see how God has gifted him and how he is discovering his strengths.  I look forward to seeing how his talents progress over the years.  I just don't want those years to come too quickly. 

In the middle of this busy day was something that I wouldn't classify as a simple pleasure.  I was supposed to get my CPR renewal today ( again!).  This is a requirement for my job at the hospital and my certification is up on the 31st of this month.  (Yes, I know it is last minute.) On my first attempt at taking this class a couple of months ago, I was 2 minutes late and the class had already begun so I was not permitted in.  Not happy.  So, I got there 30 minutes early for this class and guess what?  It was already full.  You have to be kidding me.  Really not happy.  I have another opportunity to go to a class at the hospital next month.  My plan? Get there and hour and a half early and bring a book.

As a result of not having to sit inside all afternoon in a CPR class, I was able to enjoy a beautiful afternoon with my boys, all of them.  My husband was off work a little early.  We turned on the sprinklers and watched the boys run around in the yard.  Listening to them laugh and watching them play was so much fun.  Luke imitated everything Nathan did.  That is a big thing with autism.  Luke loves to imitate his big brother.  It was so nice to see.  Nathan didn't mind it either.  Luke squealed with joy as he ran around like a typical little boy.  We all enjoyed every minute.  Getting them to come inside was something close to a meltdown, but it was worth all the fun that was had that afternoon.

Last night marked the end of ball season at Mims Park.  It was bittersweet because we all made new friends and enjoyed getting together but we were also tired and ready for a break from ball.  While all the festivities were going on, Luke was content to blow bubbles and look at a favorite book that he had brought along.  He was getting fussy and on nights like this, we have learned that it is best to drive both vehicles. It helps us dodge meltdowns.  Roger took Luke home and I stayed with Nathan. When I asked Nathan what he had learned about his first year of t-ball he answers "Those cupcakes we got after the game were really good.  I liked that we got a coke after the games."  (Thanks Jessica!).  I reminded him that he learned about how to run the bases and hold a bat and hit the ball.  He said "Oh yea, that too."  I love that he had fun in the process. He was on a great team with great coaches.  It was eye opening to me as well.  I had no idea how intense t-ball can be.  Some of the teams had coaches that yelled so much, it almost made me cry.  I know if Nathan would have been on their teams, he would never want to play ball again and we would be looking for counselling for him now.  They were quite scary.  This past Tuesday night, the game had ended and Nathan had gotten his free drink (which we really paid for at the beginning of the season when we signed him up). He looked up at me and asked "Did we win?"  I love that.  We didn't win that playoff game and he didn't even know it.  He just went out and played ball to the best of his ability and had fun in the process.  Isn't that what it is all about?  Parents make so much more of it than the kids.  So, as the night came to a close, I thought about how I would miss the sights, sounds and, yes, even some of the smells of the ballpark.  (If you are ever at Mims Park, I highly recommend the Joey burger.  It is a feast for the senses!).  I celebrated with one last order of the best chili cheese fries ever.  Trust me, it was good. Then, I got to go home and collapse.  Ahead of schedule. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment