Thursday, May 26, 2011

School's out for ... 2 weeks?

Well, that doesn't sound right. You thought I was going to say "school's out for summer," didn't you? That is the cry of kids everywhere and most parents I know. My oldest, Nathan, is out for the summer and he is so excited. Tomorrow is Luke's last day of school. I should be excited, right? This should be time that we can just enjoy being together, playing, laughing and having fun. For the next two weeks, we will do just that. But thankfully, Luke will be attending a summer program at his school that begins in two weeks. Honestly, I can't wait. Sounds awful, doesn't it? It does to me too. Please don't get me wrong. We will make the most of his time off. We plan to visit family next week. For the second week off, my goal is to have fun with my boys and try to stay sane.

Let me explain. Luke loves school. It is predictable. It is routine. He is happy there. Like most kids with autism, Luke needs routine. Any time off means a change in his schedule and, like his momma, he doesn't always adjust well to change. He does alright for a few days but, when out of his routine for too long, bad things start to happen. He becomes more stressed, therefore, I become more stressed. No matter how structured and routine I try to be with him, it is not the same. I have a five year old that wants my attention as well. The balance of it all is something I haven't quite figured out yet. (I have said before that I am opposed to cloning but there are times when it would be nice to have another me.) So, for the next couple of weeks, I will love playing with my boys and just spending time with them. But, I will be counting down the days to June 13 when Luke gets back into his school routine and our household gets back to "normal" - whatever that is. I am not one who used to enjoy so much routine, but in this case, Luke needs it, I need it, and my family needs it. Planning is everything. Spontaneity is not really an enjoyable option right now.

I don't want to sound as though I am trying to pawn Luke off on his teachers for the summer. It is not like that at all. Please know that I am thankful for a summer program for Luke. His teachers know the importance of routine and this is a routine he loves. Much progress can be made during the summer. When he makes progress, his teachers share in that joy with me. They are a huge part of his life. They love him and he loves them. They give up much of there summer to work with my son and other children with special needs. Again, I say they are angels!

So, enjoy your time off. Enjoy your kids. Happy summer break all - no matter how long it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment