Monday, November 5, 2012

A Really Great Week

When I first started this blog, it was with the idea of talking about our ups and downs with autism, and I have done that...some.  It seems more and more often I find myself talking about Nathan and life and how God is working in it all.  And,  I know I brag  a lot on my kids here and it may make you a little nauseous but, I am a mom.  It's what I do.  He is neat kiddo and loved more than the stars.  Luke and autism still gets plenty of attention and they still baffle us and amaze us and humble us.  But I have another post for Nathan.  He recently celebrated his 7th birthday on October 31 and the events on the days that surrounded his party couldn't have come at a better time.

Friday, October 26:  "Mom, I got the "team player" award from Ms. Neicy in PE today."  Those were the first words that came out of his mouth when he got int he car when I picked him up from school.  I don't know the events that led him to get that award that day or over the course of the week, but we have been talking about character and doing the right things, even if no one is looking.  Turns out he has been listening and was doing some good things and someone was looking.  He was so proud.

Saturday, October 27:  His 7th birthday party.  The day was all about him.  He had a Lego party and so many of his friends were able to be there to celebrate with him.  He had such a good time playing that he barely took a bite of his birthday cake.  He typically doesn't like a lot of attention, but for a little while, he didn't mind and just had fun.


Tuesday, October 30:  Awards at Chapel this morning.  He didn't know that he would be getting anything except a green rubber bracelet that would be given to all the kids who were participating in fundraising efforts toward the new building and "Feed the Need" event.  The first and second graders were together in the church for this particular chapel and parents were invited to attend so of course, I was there.  The green bracelets were given out and he thought that was pretty cool.  It would have been enough but there was more... The very first thing Mr. Currie, the principal, did was call Nathan up to the front and all the kids sang happy birthday to him. It was great! I just prayed that he wouldn't pass out. Mr. Currie said the most powerful and precious prayer over him.  I wish I would have videoed it just so I could hear it again.  He thanked God for Nathan's quiet spirit and asked God to work in his life.  It was so special.  Then, just was soon as he was seated, he was called back up, along with another classmate, to receive a Phonics award for having a 100 average.  Then, a little later, he was called back up with a few others, to be recognized for perfect attendance for the first quarter.  I was so proud of him.  It was a good morning.


Wednesday, October 31:  His actual birthday.  Some celebrate Halloween.  We have never been too much in to that.  Some recognize Reformation Day.  We absolutely love that.  But, our reason to celebrate is the miracle that came into our lives that day.  Nathan was such a gift then and still is...kind of like the gift that keeps on giving.  He enjoyed his day very much.  He took little goodie bags to school for his friends and I brought cupcakes for him to share with them at snack time to celebrate.  All his friends told him "Happy Birthday."  Then, that evening, we went to AWANA at church.  It happened to be the night that they awarded clubber of the month...he won!  He was surprised.  It was a pretty special day.

Thursday, November 1:  He had his very first basketball practice and he was really excited about it.   He loves basketball.  Nothing big but still another great thing in his week.

Saturday, November 3:  The Wells Fargo Senior Bowl Charity Run in downtown Mobile was that morning.  The race is a big one. Thousands of people come out to do the 10K, 5K, or fun run.  My husband did the 10 K, I did the 5 K and we all did the fun run.  He has been in a few other fun runs this year, but this was, by far, the biggest.  It was a more challenging run because of all the people that you had to navigate through but he did it, ran the entire mile and got his ribbon.  He was really proud of himself.  I was proud too!


(He really is happy...I promise!)

So, the events of this week were all kind of small by themselves, but when combined, they make for a pretty great week to a 7 year old.  It makes this momma happy too when I see each "small" thing give him a little boost of confidence that my quiet, introverted little guy needs.  He is such a blessing and it makes my heart so happy to see him do well and be recognized for it.  We are trying to teach him about doing well without expecting anything in return, but it is sure nice to see him get a few "pats on the back" and some "atta boys" from others besides my husband and myself.  It has been an exhausting, great week for us all.  Though, we are tired, we are so thankful to God for the excitement and the chance to celebrate it all with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment