Friday, August 19, 2011

Taking a breath...and advice

The past couple of weeks have gone by like a whirlwind. They have been filled with fun, excitement, lots of activity, and lots of change. They have been both refreshing and exhausting. Now, it's Friday. I feel like I can take a breath. And thanks to the grandparents, who wanted the boys to come over for the night, I have time to write about it.

Last week, we were fortunate to take a family vacation to Orange Beach. I had been looking forward to it all summer as we were in need of a getaway to rest and recharge. We had a wonderful time. The weather was nice and the view from our 11th floor condo at Caribe was beautiful. Until this year, the sand and saltwater didn't really appeal to the boys. They would much rather play at the pool which was okay too. On this trip, they truly enjoyed the beach. They loved playing in the sand and splashing in the waves. It was great to see them have so much fun together. My in-laws came with us this year. It was such a blessing. Not only did Roger and I enjoy their company, but we were also fortunate enough to enjoy a night out because of their help with the little ones. A vacation with small children is so nice but not necessarily relaxing so it was especially nice to have that time with Roger. It was hard to come home...but, we did. Home from vacation on Friday, attempt at recovery from vacation over the weekend, then first day of school for Luke on Monday. Whew! What was I thinking?

So, Monday rolled around and Luke started his new preschool, The Little Tree. I am thrilled to report that he had a phenomenal first day! He was happy, friendly, and didn't even have a single tee-tee accident! No tears either - from him or me! (For those who know me well, this may come as a surprise - not that he didn't cry but that I didn't!). Nathan and I had a couple of days together and enjoyed them completely. Then, Wednesday rolled around. Nathan's first day of Kindergarten. I walked him to the door of his classroom. He smiled with the teacher so I could get a picture, then he went in and started his day. Okay, this was hard for me. But, I sucked it up - no tears - and went home, not quite sure what to do with myself. I wanted to hang out at the school for a while...maybe make copies or cut out shapes or something...for any teacher...just to be there...kinda check in from time to time. Pitiful! My little guy, who usually has a hard time separating from me, did great! I was the one having the hard time. I had just talked to him about being brave and having courage and that God was with him. Now, I was having to repeat those words to myself! I survived the day and was so anxious to pick him up. He was all smiles when he got in the car. I am thrilled to report that he had a great first day too! He had a shakey start on Thursday, with a few tears, but today, he bravely got out at the carpool line and went in without me! Yea!!! and boo-hoo!!! That was a big step for him today. I guess it was for me too. He is getting to be such a big boy! I was so proud of him and he was proud of himself too!

I can't help but smile as I think about Nathan as he carried on a pretend conversation on his play phone in the car to Luke ( as Luke was still at school). He was speaking quietly so I didn't let on that I was listening to him. He said "Lukey, is school okay? Don't worry. Be brave. God is with you." That brought a big smile to my face, and tears too. It was so sweet. He is listening. Maybe he is taking it to heart.

So, here I am at the end of this busy week, well, couple of weeks really. I am sitting, breathing, and trying to collect my thoughts. Life is happening so fast. I don't want to miss anything. So many memories have been made over these last two weeks. Big moments in my sons' lives. Am I ready for all of this? I don't know...I hope so...one day at a time. Maybe I too will take that advice and not worry but be brave. I know God is with me. I can rest on that without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment