Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Do what I do

"I really like you Lukey. You are my best buddy I think. Just keep watching me and do what I do. You'll grow up to be a great little guy." Those words brought a big smile to my face this afternoon. Definitely worthy of a Facebook post. Even worthy of a blog post.

Nathan and Luke have played all day long (would love to say they got along all day too but that is another story). Lots of fun. Some fussing too. Everywhere Nathan went, Luke was close behind doing the same thing. He was his big brother's shadow. Up the ladder...down the slide into the pool...run across backyard...jump on mini tramp...slide into the dirt...run back across yard...jump into pool...repeat. You get the idea. It was predictable. It was fun to watch them finally play together (that is, after fussing about who would go first down the slide.)

Nathan took it upon himself to be Luke's teacher today, and, for the most part, Luke was a pretty good student. All afternoon, it was "Luke, walk on your tip toes...bounce the ball...follow me...jump like this...say choo-choo." Nathan gave frequent progress reports too. "Mommy, Luke bounced the ball just like me...Luke said choo-choo..." It was fun to listen in as Nathan gave Luke advice too. "Luke, it is important to exercise and you have to eat right if you want to be healthy. You know, like eating healthy chips.". (BTW, we DO eat fruits and veggies!)

What was simple, but great to see, was Luke imitating his brother. He was learning from him. He is learning and growing and living. (Thank you God for that!) He understands so much and it is good to see him respond to us. Even when discipline was required (for both of them!) when they were doing something unacceptable, I could tell when Luke knew when he was doing something he shouldn't. He is learning what he can do and what he is not supposed to do. He is very receptive and very teachable (and so completely lovable!). He gets excited when he learns something new. I love to see that! It is another piece of the puzzle that is being unlocked as we learn more and more about him. It is progress. I love progress!

(As a side note, I started to think about how we all have learned at some point by imitating someone or something. Caused me to consider who/what I have been imitating. What kind of example am I giving my boys to imitate? Can I say, like Paul, "imitate me as I imitate Christ"? Ouch. Convicting...)

No comments:

Post a Comment